- We are beginning a new unit on Simple Machines. Students will be working in groups to read about a type of simple machine and then present the information they learned to the class. This will be done during class time.
- On Unit 6 is entitled "The Wild West". Students will be working to answer the questions: What does it take to settle a new land? This unit will focus on social studies concepts as well, so some of the assignments during this unit will count toward students' social studies grades.
- The reading comprehension skills for the week are: cause and effect and learn to visualize.
- We will be reading the history article "Westward Bound!" by Michael J. Noble.
- The Week 1 Reading Comprehension Test will be on Wednesday, 2/24.
- Our Unit 6 is entitled "The Wild West". Students will be working to answer the questions: What does it take to settle a new land? This unit will focus on social studies concepts as well, so some of the assignments during this unit will count toward students' social studies grades.
- This week's writing project is to research ghost towns. The is the prompt: The local history society is showcasing ghost towns. They want you to take on the role of a former resident and give a presentation at their next meeting. To prepare, research ghost towns. Find out what happens to create one. Then choose a specific ghost town to be "your town." Tell what happened to it, and you, as it went from boom to bust.
- We will work on this project during class, however, students may need to work on some of the assignment at home. Students will be graded according to the research rubric posted on the top right column of this page.
- This assignment is due on Monday, February 29.
- This week we will be working on spelling words with r-Controlled Vowels: ar, er, ir, or, ur, and commonly misspelled words.
- The words are: alert, archery, assertive, assortment, depart, durable, forfeit, fortress, hardship, lantern, marshal, minerals, organize, stirrups, surly, minor, miner, corral, coral.
- The spelling test will be on Wednesday, February 24.
- Students will be working on using pronouns.
- Students are encouraged to take good grammar notes and to review their notes before each test.
- The grammar test will be on Wednesday, February 24.
- Chapter 10: Convert Units of Measure.
- We will complete lessons 10.7-Chapter Review this week.
- On Wednesday, students will take the Chapter 10 Test.
- There will be one page of math homework assigned nightly.
- There are many resources available on ThinkCentral to help students.
- Every Friday, we will be having a multiplication timed test. Students should be practicing their multiplication facts daily.
Small Group Reading
- Students will be placed into leveled small groups based on the results of their Unit 5 scores.
- Students will be reading the following books this week: The Story of the Pony Express, The Railroad, Bull's Eye: A Photo-biography of Annie Oakley, Wild West Women.
- Students will also be completing learning stations during our small group reading time. All of these activities go along with our Unit 6 theme of the wild west. Students will turn in a packet of their work which will also count toward their social studies grades.