- This week students will be reading the fiction story, One Hen, by Katie Smith Milway.
- Our comprehension skills will be elements of fiction, and using reading strategies.
- There will be a test on Friday, May 15 over Unit 8, Week 3.
- borrow, credit, debt, entrepreneur, loan, advantage, determine, evaluate, favorable, influence, organization
- Test on Friday, May 15 over these words.
- Syllable Types and Commonly Misspelled Words
- abide, abilities, academy, amazing, apology, extraordinary, gallery, gamble, handle, hardy, resemble, strategy, tackle, tremble, wrestle, disburse, disperse, advice, advise.
- Test on Friday, 5/15.
- Use Correct Verb Tense, Use Future Progressive
- Practice Masters 8.20, 8.21
- Test on Friday, 5/15
- Students are encouraged to study their grammar notebooks each week.
- Write Realistic Fiction
- Prompt: Your school literary magazine is putting out a "Helping Hands" edition, featuring stories about making a difference in other people's lives. Imagine that you have money to lend. Write a story about how it helps someone.
- See the writing rubric at right.
- Due Tuesday, May 19.
- Getting Ready for Grade 6, Lessons 10-13.
- There will be one page of homework assigned nightly.
- We will have a quiz over lessons 7-11 on Tuesday, May 12.
- We will have a test covering lessons 1-11 on Wednesday, May 13.
- Each Friday, students will also take a multiplication timed test. It is very important for students to be fluid with their multiplication facts. Daily practice of multiplication facts is encouraged.
- Students are working on researching a state and writing a state report.
- The final draft of the state report is due Monday, 5/18.
- Please see the outline of research questions available on the "Assignments" page.
- We are working on a life science unit on fish.
- Students will be starting an inquiry project related to our unit. The requirements can be found on the "Assignments" page.
- The project is due on Thursday, May 14th.
- We will be watching the movie Finding Nemo on Thursday and Friday of this week. Students must have a signed permission slip in order to watch the movie.