- Unit 2 is entitled Catching the Light. Students will be working to answer the question: What is the power of the sun? This unit will focus on science concepts as well so some of the assignments during this unit will count toward students' science grades.
- This week we will be reading the how-to article How to Make a Solar Oven by Solargirl.
- Reading comprehension skills for the week are: use quotes to explain text, ask questions, compare text features, compare documents, use multiple resources to answer a question, integrate information from several texts.
- The Unit 2 reading comprehension test will be on Monday, October 9th.
- Unit 3 is entitled Nature's Network. Students will be working to answer the question: What is the power of the sun? This unit will focus on science concepts as well so some of the assignments during this unit will count toward students' science grades.
- This week's writing assignment will be to write an animal story. This is the prompt: Your class is going to create a magazine featuring animal stories. Your task is to write an animal story as if you were the animal. Your story should describe a problem that the animal might face. It should also include a turning point and a resolution of the problem.
- We will work on this assignment during class, however, students may need to work on some of the assignment at home. Students will be graded according to the writing rubric posted on the top right column of this page.
- This assignment is due on Monday, October 16th.
- This week we will be working on spelling words with long e, i, o and using commonly misspelled words correctly.
- The words are: abode, breed, biosphere, behavior, biology, devour, fertilize, parasite, procure, protein, response, species, strife, survive, taper, genus, genius, survive, pray, prey.
- The spelling test will be on Monday, October 16th.
- Students will be working on using compound sentences and complex sentences.
- Students are encouraged to take good grammar notes and to review their notes before each test.
- The unit 2 grammar test will be on Monday, October 9th.
Small Group Reading
- Students will be placed into leveled small groups based on the results of the Unit 1 assessments.
- Students will be reading the following books this week: The Energy Stars, Ben Franklin's Fame, Little Blog on the Prairie, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.
- Students will also be completing learning stations during our small group reading time. All of these activities go along with our Unit 2 theme of catching the light. Students will turn in a packet of their work which will also count toward their science grades.
- Chapter 4: Multiply Decimals
- We will complete lessons 4.1-4.5 this week.
- There will be one page of math homework assigned nightly.
- There are many resources available on ThinkCentral to help students.
- Every Friday, we will be having a multiplication timed test. Students should be practicing their multiplication facts daily.
- We will be reading the book Ben and Me by Jackie Brown.
- We will begin with Chapter 2 of our Interactive Science program. This chapter will focus on Forces and Motion. Students will be working to answer the question: What affects the motion of objects?
- We will work on Lesson 4: How are shadows formed?
- This year we will be using USA Studies Weekly for our social studies content.
- We will be working on Week 7 which focuses on the Old and New World.
- USA Studies Weekly content can be found on the website: https://app.studiesweekly.com/online/