- Unit 3 is entitled Nature's Network. Students will be working to answer the question: What is the power of the sun? This unit will focus on science concepts as well so some of the assignments during this unit will count toward students' science grades.
- This week we will be reading the interview, Fish of the Future, by Diane Salisian.
- Reading comprehension skills for the week are: determine main ideas and supporting details and determine importance.
- The U3W3 reading comprehension test will be on Wednesday, November 1st.
Unit 3 is entitled Nature's Network. Students will be working to answer the question: What is the power of the sun? This unit will focus on science concepts as well so some of the assignments during this unit will count toward students' science grades.
- This week's writing assignment will be to research an animal. This is the prompt: An aquarium in your area is having a contest for students. To enter, you must research an ocean animal that interests you and prepare an oral presentation. Your presentation must include multimedia elements, such as an online video or live web-cam that shows how the animal behaves in its ocean habitat. Contest winners will share their presentations with aquarium visitors on "Young Scientists' Day."
- We will work on this assignment during class, however, students may need to work on some of the assignment at home. Students will be graded according to the research rubric posted on the top right column of this page. Students will need a flash drive for this assignment and we will be making a Power Point presentation in the computer lab.
- This assignment is due on Thursday, November 9th.
- This week we will be working on spelling words with long a, i, o, u in VCe form and using commonly misspelled words correctly.
- The words are: agitate, attribute, biome, canine, clone, despise, fascinate, graze, hibernate, introduce, intrude, pesticide, provoke, vile, wholesome, choral, coral, chorale, corral.
- The spelling test will be on Wednesday, November 1st.
- Students will be working on capitalizing and punctuating titles of works and using collective nouns.
- Students are encouraged to take good grammar notes and to review their notes before each test.
- The unit 2 grammar test will be on Thursday, November 2nd.
Small Group Reading
- Students will be placed into leveled small groups based on the results of the Unit 2 assessments.
- Students will be reading the following books this week: Food Chain Frenzy, One Day in the Prairie, Baboon, Island of the Blue Dolphins.
- Students will also be completing learning stations during our small group reading time. All of these activities go along with our Unit 3 theme of nature's network. Students will turn in a packet of their work which will also count toward their science grades.
- Chapter 5: Divide Decimals
- We will complete lessons 5.4-5.7 this week.
- On Tuesday, students will take the Mid-Chapter checkpoint quiz over lessons 5.1-5.4.
- There will be one page of math homework assigned nightly.
- There are many resources available on ThinkCentral to help students.
- Every Friday, we will be having a multiplication timed test. Students should be practicing their multiplication facts daily.
- We will be reading the book Dogsong by Gary Paulsen.
- We will finish our last inquiry investigation for Chapter 2: Using Scientific Method.
- We will begin Chapter 6: Earth and Space.
- This year we will be using USA Studies Weekly for our social studies content.
- We will be working on Week 9 which focuses on the New England Colonies.
- USA Studies Weekly content can be found on the website: https://app.studiesweekly.com/online/